Many financial market participants do not always fully appreciate the reasons for the development of the financial markets, the true purpose and the optimal usage of financial products and derivatives.
This program will start off by discussing current financial market occurrences and events, and draw the participant to the importance of why there is a need to have a deep understanding of workings and drivers of such events in the first instance prior to delving into the inner workings of the financial markets/practices and its related products.
The program then continues on to provide an initial basic foundational introduction to treasury markets and financial products, and to explain why some of these financial products were developed in the first instance, and how these products should be properly used and what some of the inherent risks are when dealing such products, both from the perspective of an end user as well as that of a dealer in a financial institution.
Concepts will be strongly emphasized throughout the program, and emphasis will also be on practical aspects involved in the dealing of financial products.
Participants will be put through some “dirty their hands” exercises, thought-provoking challenges and analysis of treasury products and derivatives from a dealer’s perspective as well as a risk manager’s perspective. The program will also include a discussion of treasury products and derivatives from an end-User’s perspective.
Participants will gain a good solid basic foundational knowledge of treasury markets and financial products, and understand why some of these financial products were developed in the first instance, and how these products should be properly used and what some of the inherent risks are when dealing such products, both from the perspective of an end user as well as that of a dealer in a financial institution.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Senior Management
- Treasury and Finance Personnel
- Fund Management Personnel
- Operations and Settlements Personnel
- Wealth Management Personnel
- Risk Management Personnel
- Legal and Compliance Personnel
- Internal and External Auditors
- In living life, the secret of the How’s is actually in the Why’s!
- History is actually an important subject. Knowing history well tells us why we are here today. Knowing history really well can sometimes even tell us where we are heading into the future!
- Understand the development of Treasury Markets and its historical evolution, its current role and its future.
- Be properly introduced to the Interest Rate Markets, its historical evolution, and where the markets are today.
- Understand the basic working mechanics involved in the Interest Rate Markets.
- Have an overview of the various Interest Rate Market Products that are commonly traded.
- Be properly introduced to Yield Curves and Discount Factor Curves.
- See examples of Interest Rate Products that are used in creating Hedging Strategies and Investment Strategies.
- Be properly introduced to the Foreign Exchange Markets, its historical evolution, and where the markets are today.
- Understand the basic working mechanics involved in the Foreign Exchange Markets.
- Have an overview of the various Foreign Exchange Market Products that are commonly traded.
Dr. Jeffrey C. K . Lim
Certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM) and certified Professional Risk Manager (PRM), is currently the Managing Director of PI ETA Consulting Company, a Treasury & Financial Risk Management Consulting Company.
A Chartered Scientist (C.Sci.), a Chartered Mathematician (C.Math.) and an elected Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications (IMA), U.K. (FIMA), Jeff earned his Ph.D. in Stochastic Financial Modeling from the University of Cambridge in England. Jeff’s research interest at Cambridge was in the area of Arbitrage Opportunities occurring in the Mispricing of Financial Options, and his original research culminated in the publication of his doctoral dissertation entitled: “Multi-period Mean-Variance Option Portfolio Strategies”.
Jeff was an authorized Securities & Financial Derivatives Representative in London, having been certified by The Securities and Futures Authority (SFA) in England, where he started his career as a Derivatives Analyst with Nomura International in London, England. He subsequently joined NatWest Markets from London, England to become its Head of Currency Structured Products for South and South-East Asia. Jeff then moved to American Express Bank to become its Director of Structured Products, prior to assuming his current position.